· Communicates information thoroughly and gives concise report at change of shift.
· Communicates appropriate information to Charge Nurses , team leaders, Director, etc. as appropriate.
· Writes neatly and legibly.
· Inputs data into the computer accurately.
· Locates and retrieves data from the computer including laboratory, diagnostic imaging and other patient related information.
· Reports all results of diagnostic studies and lab values as soon as received to the appropriate RN.
· Informs nursing staff of patient, family or physician needs/requests.
· Answers Nurse Call
· Receives and places telephone calls to all hospital departments as needed/requested.
· Notifies appropriate staff to receive telephone calls.
· Transcribes physician orders including medications accurately, concisely and enters data into computer or MAR.
· Checks for and assures patients are properly identified (ID bands, addressograph, etc.) on admission/transfer and as required/requested.
· Keeps census accurately updated in the computer and on census log sheet.
· Assembles patient charts, identifies forms accurately, enters appropriate information and maintains an ongoing check for proper identification and dating of forms.
· Checks and orders stationary supplies and nursing unit supplies at routine intervals and as needed (maintains adequate PAR levels).
· Maintains a sufficient reserve (PAR) level of patient admission charts and charting forms.
· Assists with admissions ensuring all necessary equipment on a timely manner ; discharges ; transfers ; deaths ; errands as required and/or directed.
· Answers Nurse Call system within < 3 minutes, notifies appropriate staff member and follows-up with patient to assure needs are met in a timely manner.
· Locates staff, supplies, etc. as needed by healthcare team members including physicians.
· Initiates and follows through with requests for services to effect patient care, environmental cleanliness and safety.
· Assists patients, visitors and staff without hesitation; if unable to respond to request, seeks appropriate staff member capable of accommodating needs.
· Directs or takes healthcare team members, patients, visitors, physicians to desired destination in a helpful, courteous and caring manner.
· Initiates work orders, contacting Facilities Management as appropriate or requested.
· Contacts Environmental Services for unit cleaning needs and for bed/ room cleaning post-discharge.
· Keeps Nurses’ Station organized and neat at all times.
· Participates in all regulatory education and survey activities.
· Sustains time management and accuracy in all given tasks.
· Ensures residents account numbers are maintained in order & updated per schedule.
· Other Duties as assigned.
High school graduate or equivalent
Knowledge of Medical Terminology
General clerical and computer knowledge
Good communication and customer service skills
Bilingual (English/Spanish/Vietnamese/Chinese) required
Completion of Unit Secretary course and certificate- Preferred