Directs, coordinates and evaluates the activities of the following departments: maintenance, facility operations, grounds, biomed, security, safety and emergency management. Serves as the Safety Officer and Emergency Management Officer as well as oversees the Environment of Care, Life Safety, and Emergency Management Chapters for The Joint Commission. Prepares annual operating budgets for these departments; develops policies and procedures; performs personnel administrative functions. Directs the Hospital’s performance improvement activities of each department. Responsibilities also include the oversight of all construction projects. It is expected that all regulations and codes related to OSHPD, DHS, OSHA, State, county, city and local agencies will be observed and conformed to.
1. Reports to the Chief Operating Officer regarding the physical and structural conditions of hospital facilities and the status of work in progress, and new projects.
2. Develops, evaluates and implements departmental policies and procedures, goals and objectives, and standards of work for the maintenance and repair of medical equipment, buildings and building systems.
3. Develops and ensures the application of standards of quality and productivity for Plant Operations, Facility maintenance, Biomedical Engineering, and Security Department.
4. Administers and implements preventative maintenance procedures to ensure uninterrupted operation of the entire physical plant. Monitors and documents its applications to assure maximum effectiveness.
5. Directs the ongoing inspection of hospital and grounds to ensure the condition of the physical plant complies with all local, state, and federal codes and regulations.
6. Directs the repair of equipment or recommends the replacement of or additions to equipment or physical plan as necessary.
7. Responsible for the selection and coordination of all maintenance service contractors and ensures all contractual provisions are met along with established codes.
8. Responsible for developing the annual operating budget, which includes personnel, equipment, materials and supply needs. Continues to monitor budget after adoption.
9. Maintains personnel files and records, authorizes timecards and prepares statistical and operating reports.
10. Participates in performance improvement and information management programs.
11. Supervises the Department managers, supervisors and staff.
a. Assists all department managers in the budget process, which includes operating and capital budget preparation and maintenance.
12. Develops standards of performance, determines areas of responsibility, assigns responsibility and accountability and delegates authority to the managerial, supervisory and professional members of the staff.
13. Monitors departmental personnel matters including, but not limited to, interviewing and the hiring of new staff, training, evaluating work performance, promotion, counseling, discipline and termination. Consults and coordinates with the Human Resources Director regarding employee grievances for final disposition.
a. Ensures all department staff receives on-going in-service education, on the-job training, evaluations and open departmental meetings.
b. Evaluates personnel on a regular basis according to prescribed guidelines.
14. Maintains good interdepartmental and intradepartmental relationships by providing the highest level of services, management assistance and follow-through.
15. Participates in information management, performance improvement and infection control programs.
16. Responsible for the Safety Program at ARMC and is designated by the Governing Board as Safety Officer of the facility.
17. Works with the State Fire Marshall and Environment of Care Committee to establish and coordinate the fire prevention and suppression program- encompassing the hospital grounds and ancillary buildings.
18. Chairs the Environment of Care Committee and Emergency Management Subcommittee.
19. Manages the Environment of Care Quarterly & Annual Reports
20. Manages Emergency Preparedness for the ARMC
a. Coordinates all Emergency Recall Lists for ARMC.
b. Represents the hospital as a contact at all times for any emergency or disaster related issue. This includes outside sources such as CAHAN (California Health Alert Network) and Live Process (Emergency Preparedness software).
21. Coordinates all Environmental Tours throughout hospital and ensures that findings are compliant with hospital policy & procedure orTJC regulations.
22. Performs additional tasks as assigned by the Executive Team.