Under the direction of the COO/CNO, provides daily and strategic administrative oversight and operational control to patient care units under his/her area of responsibility.
This position requires providing Patient Care managerial/administrative supervision to departments which provide care/service across the continuum of care in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional and/or developmental age of the individual served.
• Plans, directs and coordinates services for unit regarding operations, nursing practices, short and long term goals, and budgets.
• Supervises and coordinates the work of unlicensed and licensed staff including charge nurses in unit.
• Responsible for effective management of operational and staffing matters, problem solving, training, supplies and equipment requisites, performance management, conflict resolution, coaching/disciplinary actions, and hiring/retention of staff.
• Manages quality and effectiveness of care given by staff.
• Advises the COO/CNO of nursing and administrative issues of unit.
• Ensures compliance with quality assurance, safety, infection control, and environmental procedures in accordance with regulatory requirements.
• Utilizes efficient managerial skills and critical thinking in order to optimize expense control.
• Ensures development of subordinates and succession planning.
• Recognizes consequences of decisions to budget.
• Responsible for positive staff morale, staff absenteeism management and low turnover. Ensures qualified new hires and vacancies levels are appropriate.
• Prioritizes projects and uses time management to maximize efficiencies.
• Utilizes management process; gather data, identify issue (goal), identify remedy (objectives), implement and monitor to ensure expected results are achieved.
• Ensure standards are established and communicated to staff to ensure effectiveness of department.
• Clearly identifies the customer(s) they serve and establishes customer service initiatives to ensure ultimate customer service is provided in order to achieve targeted outcomes.
• Possess the technical knowledge to appropriately develop spreadsheets, reports, and budgeting. Demonstrates good project management skills to ensure targeted outcomes are achieved.
• Possess general knowledge of wage and hour regulations, record keeping, OSHA, workers’ comp, Department of Labor, EEOC, leave of absence laws, and complies with company policies and procedures.
• Works collaboratively with Human Resources to effectively handle administrative proceedings.
• Actively engages in self-improvement and training activities for subordinates to ensure the strategic goals and objectives are met.
• Demonstrates an understanding of organizational processes and procedures and adheres to the approved process. Ensures subordinates follow approved process and procedures.
• Other duties as assigned.
Bachelors in Nursing required, Masters in Nursing preferred
Three years nursing experience to include clinical skills and managerial/leadership functions
Excellent written/verbal communication and computer skills
Experience in budget preparation/operation
Current California RN License
Current BLS Card
Current ACLS Card