The Project Coordinator in the Administration department is responsible for managing resources and controlling mid to large scale medical equipment and estate related projects. He or she should ensure that the medical equipment project is carried without any constraints in a planned timely manner meeting all objectives. A project coordinator leads activities related to product and/or equipment selection and standardization as per clinical requirement and quality of patient care. He/she also provides direct/indirect support for the Director of Engineering/ Biomedical/Technology departments and higher level administration for capital planning and various clinical projects.
Preventive and Corrective maintenance of equipment to meet the TJC, CMS and CAP regulations is a crucial part of the job description. The preventive maintenance all medical equipment under the Equipment management program should be carried as per manufacturer recommendations protocol and frequency. For these reasons, he/she should have the technical knowledge to use the test equipment and perform the required preventive maintenance in a timely manner.
Along with the above responsibilities, he/she is also responsible as a role of service engineer to take care of the service requests requested by the clinical/non-clinical staff of the hospital. He/she should handle variety of tasks associated with relocation, installation, maintenance, calibration and repair of complex biomedical equipment. They should be able to perform duties of a board scope and complexity to analyze, develop, design, modify, plan, install, evaluate, certify, and correct systems malfunctions on complex medical systems that have virtually interrelated, and sometimes dispersed subsystems.
Project coordinator is the front line employee who is visible to the clinician utilizing the patient care equipment included in the Equipment maintenance program. Pride and professionalism, as well as technical expertise, must be exhibited at all times for the success of all concerned.
A. KNOWLEDGE OF WORK
1. Consistently shows a thorough understanding of all required duties and responsibilities.
2 Consistently uses time management skills to complete required daily tasks.
3. Possess a thorough understanding of Clinical Service needs and requirements.
4. Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
5. Exhibits positive and proactive clinical medical device related service skills.
B. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains a clean and well organized work area.
2. Completes, organizes and prioritizes Planned and Corrective Maintenance documentation as assigned.
3. Maintains a professional appearance.
4. Exhibits the technical skills required to service and maintain medical equipment within the hospital setting.
5. Assures timely and appropriate response to equipment service requests and tracks and communicates the progress and completion of repairs to both the clinical staff and his or her manager.
6. Ensures that all appropriate service documentation is accurately completed in accordance with the Policy and Procedure manual.
7. Inputs Planned Maintenance and Service information into databases as needed
8. Communicates pertinent information to hospital staff, Ensures that all information required for and the hospital clinical staff is available to accomplish their missions in a proactive and cost conscious manner.
9. Understands the needs and pressures on the clinical staff in the account and works to ensure that the program is viewed as an integral and important asset to all staff.
10. Proactively assumes responsibility for reviewing, understanding and following all medical device management plan policies and procedures as outlined in the manual.
11. Attempts to find and communicate opportunities to improve the performance of the work environment.
12. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
C. INITIATIVE AND JUDGMENT/ATTENDANCE AND RELIABILITY
1. Independently recognizes and performs duties which need to be done without being directly assigned. Establishes priorities; organizes work and time to meet them.
2. Recognizes and responds to priorities, accepts changes and new ideas. Has insight into problems and the ability to develop workable alternatives.
3. Accepts constructive criticism in a positive manner.
4. Adheres to attendance and punctuality requirements per hospital policy. Provides proper notification for absences and tardiness. Takes corrective action to prevent recurring absences or tardiness.
5. Uses time effectively and constructively. Does not abuse supplies, equipment, and service.
6. Observes all hospital and departmental policies governing conduct while at work (e.g., telephone and computer use, electronic messaging, smoking regulations, parking, breaks and other related policies).
SECTION II: SERVICE EXCELLENCE
1. Patient-Centered: Respectful of and responds to patients preferences, values and needs
2. Accountability & Customer Focused: Participates actively and positively affects the outcomes of customer service activities
3. Uses effective collaborative strategies as evidenced by:
a) Developing peer relationships that enable the work group to accomplish the daily workload within the allotted time frame and achieve departmental goals.
b) Recognizing and understanding that as a member of an interdependent group, collaboration and compromise is required in order to maintain the effectiveness of the group as a whole to effectively resolve problems.
c) Timely notification to Department Manager/Director of potential problems or concerns. When faced with a problem or concern, is proactive by presenting suggested solutions at the time that the Department Manager/Director is made aware of the problem or concern.
d) Displaying teamwork ability to promote cooperation and collaboration; gaining support for programs and goals.
4. Displays honesty and respect for others, and respect for the organization as evidenced by:
a) Treating internal and external customers as the most important part of the job.
b) Being sensitive to customer’s emotions, thoughts and feelings.
c) Refraining from negative comments of any kind where the public or other customers can hear.
d) Taking appropriate actions to resolve the concern.
5. Facilitates and enhances communication as evidenced by:
a) Effective and timely processing of customers requests according to hospital and departmental policies.
b) Utilizing verbal communication methods, which enable others to clearly understand what is being said.
c) Utilizing verbal and non-verbal behaviors without being defensive, manipulative, aggressive or controlling.
d) Using written communication that is legible, timely and at a level based on the position specific requirements.
e) Listening attentively to ensure effective two-way communication.
f) Expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner.
g) Answering the telephone with stating department, name and greeting.
6. Interacts with coworkers, other hospital staff, physicians, and the public in a courteous, professional and efficient manner.
7. Establishes good rapport and working relationships with coworkers, other hospital staff, physicians and the public
8. Observes dress code policy and wears hospital identification as required by our policies and procedures.
9. Ensures all supervised employees on shift maintain policies and professional standards.
SECTION III: CONTINUOUS QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
A. CORPORATE INTEGRITY
1. Understands and abides by all departmental policies and procedures as well as the Codes of Ethics, HIPAA requirements and patient rights.
2. Complies with federal, state, local laws that govern business practices. Complies with all Department of Health Services requirements and CMS standards that apply to the position.
3. Is knowledgeable and adheres to TJC/CMS standards specific to the position.
4. Participates actively in ensuring that all state and federal rules and regulations are followed as they apply to this position.
5. Conducts business in an ethical and trustworthy manner at all times when dealing with patients, visitors, physicians, and fellow employees.
B. EDUCATION AND ENVIRONMENT OF CARE
1. Attends scheduled meeting and mandatory in-service. Communicates ideas to supervisor for a safer layout of equipment, tools, and/or processes.
2. Follows standard precautions and transmission based precautions as shown by consistent use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
3. Adheres to procedures for the disposal of waste – household waste and biohazard waste as well as the proper disposal of sharps.
4. Uses proper body mechanics at all times. Seeks assistance when necessary to move heavy objects or to transport/transfer a heavy patient.
5. Is knowledgeable in the hospital safety program and takes necessary steps to maintain a safe environment. Adheres to safe work practices in order to prevent injuries and illnesses.
6. Is familiar with emergency codes and emergency preparedness procedures and understands his/her role in response to each of the emergency codes (Code Blue, Code Amber, Code Orange, Code Red, Code Gray, Code Silver, Code Purple, etc.)
7. Maintains the department in a neat, clean, and orderly manner, especially in own work area.
8. Eliminates or assists in eliminating any seen or known hazards in the workplace. Reports any unsafe conditions to his or her immediate supervisor.
9. Demonstrates good safety habits and judgment by maintaining a safe environment at all times.
10. Complies with all hospital safety and injury prevention policies and regulations (seven Environment of Care plans and hospital safety policies and procedures).
C. PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT
1. Understands the Continuous Quality Improvement Process and applies it in performing everyday tasks/duties. Active participant in Continuous Quality Improvement program by assisting in finding new and better ways of performing duties and responsibilities.
2. Understands performance improvement concepts and demonstrates understanding by:
a) Defining performance improvement, and verbalizing at least one major goal of the performance improvement program within the hospital setting.
b) Ability to describe a quality improvement problem solving process (e.g., PDSA) and how its use assists in reaching improving patient outcomes and/or organizational quality improvement goals.
c) Able to verbalize at least one departmental or hospital wide improvement initiative that has occurred within the last 12 months.
3. Cooperates with others in the improvement of services offered at our institution. Continually makes recommendations that assist in the improvement of services.
4. Continually strives for self-improvement in areas of responsibility by attending continuing education classes.
5. Recognizes need for improvement in employees and has the ability to verbalize this constructive criticism in a positive, mentoring manner.
6. Recognizes and counsels inappropriate or substandard care delivered by employees being directly supervised.
SECTION III: JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1 Comply with policies and procedure of AHMC Seton Medical Center
2 Comply with Joint Commission Standards
3 Comply with local, state and Federal Regulations
4 Maintain a Preventative PM completion rate of 100%.
5 Complete Annuals Essentials on time
General Duties and Responsibilities
1 Perform preventive maintenance inspections per task instructions
2 Perform corrective maintenance inspections.
3 Document all maintenance actions
4 Identify, research and order maintenance parts
Coordination of Projects
1 Monitor work done with in-house clinical staff
2 Monitor work done by outside vendors
3 Coordinate Projects between department
1 Demonstrate proper hand washing
2 Demonstrate an understanding of emergency codes
3 Demonstrate the proper use of a digital multi-meter
4 Data-analysis skill and reasoning abilities
5 Demonstrate the working of Biomedical Test Equipment:
(b) Electrical Safety Analyzer
(c) Vital sign Simulator
(d) Electro-surgical Analyzer
1 EOC Rounds
2 Attend all mandatory meetings
3 Maintain and Track all documents and contracts of medical equipment
4 Track Nuclear Physicist Report
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING
1. Should have a minimum Bachelor in Engineering or 3-5 years of experience in Medical/Hospital based environment must. Masters in Engineering related field is preferred.
2. Should have the technical knowledge to use and handle test equipment in the Environment of care department.
3. Should have the knowledge and experience to understand and perform preventive maintenance of medical devices as the manufacturer recommendation.
4. Should have the software knowledge to use for equipment management and should have a good knowledge on Microsoft Office Products.
5. Data analysis skills in Microsoft excel is required.
6. Two year’s experience in the field of Engineering and Maintenance.
7. Strong verbal/written communications skill.