This position is responsible for providing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as defined by departmental policies and procedures for neonatal through geriatric patients. Responsibilities include general respiratory patient care, emergency care, critical care, patient assessment, and patient plans of care, patient/family education and patient/family discharge instruction. This position also requires utilization of advanced practitioner skills to intervene in complex patient care situations. The Respiratory Care Practitioner II assists in the development of policies and procedures, patient protocols, education/coaching of nursing, support personnel, patients, and caregivers and participates in multidisciplinary patient care conferences and performance improvement activities.
Administers general respiratory care to patients as appropriate and medically necessary and per physicians’ orders:
· All modes of aerosolized bronchodilators and medications.
· Volume expansion therapy (Incentive Spirometry, PEP therapy, IPPB).
· Oxygen and bland aerosol therapy.
· Pulse Oximetry.
· Simple sleep study.
· Arterial puncture for blood gas analysis.
· Bedside pulmonary function.
Provides patient/family education:
· During admission and documents on plan of care.
· Before discharge, provides discharge instruction and documents on the discharge instruction form.
Assesses patients continuously for appropriateness and medical necessity of all therapy and documents accordingly:
· Communicates with physicians when therapy orders need to be changed.
· Turns MDI’s over to Nursing Services when patient demonstrates self-administration competency.
Manages and maintains mechanical ventilation and non-invasive ventilation:
· Interprets arterial blood gas analysis and responds appropriately in terms of making ventilation/oxygenation parameter changes.
· Manages, interprets capnography/capnometry and responds appropriately in terms of making ventilation parameter changes.
· Manages artificial airways.
· Extubates endotracheally intubated patients.
Performs special procedures as required to meet the needs of the department:
· Performs Bronchoscopy assistance.
· Intra-tracheal intubation (Emergent).
· Indirect calorimetry (Metabolic study)
Documents concisely in medical records / electronic health record (EHR):
· Medication administration appropriately.
· Plans of Care are started and updated.
· Education records are addressed.
· Discharge instructions are documented.
· Ventilator flow sheets are completely filled out.
Adhere to medication management policy:
· Physicians’ orders are verified and signed off.
· Verify patient identification prior to medication administration.
· Adhere to medication administration times.
· Adhere to the storage and dispensing of respiratory medications on patient care units.
Follows written and oral instruction.
Works closely and compatibly and is respectful towards:
· Fellow respiratory therapists.
· Patients and their families.
· Medical staff.
· Nursing services.
· Other ancillary staff.
Performs all tasks of the position in a satisfactory manner.
Possesses good time management skills.
Is able to complete assignment and maintain quality care.
Uses the following Policy and Procedure manuals as a reference:
· Respiratory Services.
· Human Resources.
· Infection Control.
· Environment of Care.
· Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
· Code Blue.
Adheres to the American Association of Respiratory Care Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice for Respiratory Care.
Adheres to department policies and procedures.
Completes competencies by the stated timeline.
Attends and participates in all mandatory meetings and classes.
Reads and signs off on all staff meeting minutes and memos by the stated timelines.
Attendance is regular and satisfactory.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
AHMC- Seton Medical Center has a long tradition of providing patient-centered, quality care and a commitment to clinical excellence and our community. Founded in 1893, the 357-bed medical center now serves 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz. We pride ourselves on improving the health and well-being of our patients, community, and populations, we serve with high quality community partnerships, and continuous innovation to our health care delivery system and this is why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to deliver the safest and highest quality patient-centered care