Assesses patient/family health problems and resources, takes a leadership role in the development, implementation and outcomes evaluation of a plan for nursing care provided by the nursing team. Provides technical nursing care and interventions to designated patient populations. This position requires providing service to a one or more age populations including an ill neonate through geriatric patient population in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individual served. Admission coordination, make nursing assignments, coordinate shift activities and quality control functions.
· Provides local wound care as ordered.
· Applies dressings as ordered or as appropriate to the type of wound.
· Documents nursing interventions using the FOCUS charting format.
· Demonstrates knowledge of procedures and post-care.
· Follows established protocols for patients at high risk for suicide or unpredictable behavior.
· Follows established protocols for patients at high risk for falls and skin breakdown.
· Follows appropriate Code Blue notification procedures.
· Functions in a Code Blue quickly and calmly providing CPR, administering and documenting
· Effectively prioritizes clinical interventions and care.
· Communicates significant changes in patient’s condition/status in a timely manner.
· Understands actions, side-effects, contra-indications of drugs.
· Follows five “rights” of medication administration.
· Adheres to medication policies, practices and standards.
· Administers medication, intravenous therapy and fluid management only on physician request and guidance.
· Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
· Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use.
· Differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction.
· Uses the following equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s operating instructions, including but not limited
· IV Pump
· PCA Pump
· Tube Feeding Pump
· Chest Tube Suction