Provides clerical support and services to meet specific needs of a nursing unit. Participates in and coordinates telecommunications between nursing and all departments. Is responsible for preparing, compiling and maintaining patient records. Coordinates maintenance of office supplies and forms PAR levels and nurse’s station. Communicates effectively with all customers and assures accurate maintenance of a patient’s medical record. Answers call lights I timely manner. Transcribes orders efficiently/accurately.
· Communicates information thoroughly and gives concise report at change of shift.
· Communicates appropriate information to Team Leaders, Manager, Director, etc. as appropriate.
· Writes neatly and legibly.
· Inputs data into the computer accurately.
· Locates and retrieves data from the computer including laboratory, diagnostic imaging and other patient
· Reports all results of diagnostic studies and lab values as soon as received to the appropriate RN.
· Informs nursing staff of patient, family or physician needs/requests.
· Answers Nurse Call
· Receives and places telephone calls to all hospital departments as needed/requested.
· Notifies appropriate staff to receive telephone calls.
· Transcribes physician orders including medications accurately, concisely and enters data into computer
· Checks for and assures patients are properly identified (ID bands, addressograph, etc.) on
admission/transfer and as required/requested.
· Keeps census accurately updated in the computer and on census log sheet.
· Assembles patient charts, identifies forms accurately, enters appropriate information and maintains an
ongoing check for proper identification and dating of forms.
· Checks and orders stationary supplies and nursing unit supplies at routine intervals and as needed
(maintains adequate PAR levels).
· Maintains a sufficient reserve (PAR) level of patient admission charts and charting forms.
· Assists with admissions, discharges, transfers, deaths, errands as required and/or directed.
· Answers Nurse Call system within < 3 minutes, notifies appropriate staff member and follows-up with
patient to assure needs are met in a timely manner.
· Locates staff, supplies, etc. as needed by healthcare team members including physicians.
· Initiates and follows through with requests for services to effect patient care, environmental cleanliness
· Assists patients, visitors, staff without hesitation; if unable to respond to request, seeks appropriate staff
member capable of accommodating needs.
· Directs or takes healthcare team members, patients, visitors, physicians to desired destination in a
helpful, courteous and caring manner.
· Initiates work orders, contacting Facilities Management as appropriate or requested.
· Contacts Environmental Services for unit cleaning needs and for bed/ room cleaning post-discharge.
· Keeps Nurses’ Station organized and neat at all times.
· Other Duties as assigned.