The Maternal Child Clinical Supervisor is responsible for assisting the Department Director in providing overall leadership and direction for the units or areas of responsibility, and for creating an environment that fosters collaboration among the team to achieve operational and clinical excellence. This will be achieved through the following activities: In collaboration with the Department Director, participates in the selection and development of staff to achieve high performance; performs all probationary and annual evaluations; works collaboratively with physicians to develop methods for improving the quality of care; works collaboratively with department leadership to achieve quality, fiscal and patient experience goals and expectations.
The Clinical Supervisor assumes responsibility and accountability for the quality of nursing activities and staff functions during the shift. Effectively directs nursing personnel and utilizes time, equipment and other unit resources to ensure the daily operation of the unit. Continually assesses care, monitors unit operations, and directs staff to make immediate changes to accommodate patient needs. Performs direct patient care, only when necessary, and within scope of practice
This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of Parkview Community Hospital Medical Center. It is expected that the staff member holding this position will demonstrate behaviors consistent with our core values and will comply with all required standards governing our commitment to Compassionate Care, Exemplary Service and serving our patients. The associate holding this position will support Parkview Community Hospital Medical Center’s strategic plan and all essential elements of Quality Improvement, Patient and Family Experience, and efficient Fiscal Management.
1. Assumes responsibility and accountability for unit operations, including but not limited to:
• Patient Safety initiatives
• Quality standards and outcomes
• Outstanding customer service to patients, family members, physicians and the public
• Competency and clinical performance of nursing staff
• Productivity management
2. Oversees coordination of patient care, working with Physician and staff, as evidenced by:
• Identification of appropriate patient admission/discharge/transfer (ADT) throughout the shift.
• Overseeing and maintaining patient flow (including but not limited to procedure scheduling).
3. Evaluates clinical performance of all unit staff under oversight of Clinical Director. Manages the unit based clinical competency program utilizing appropriate educational resources
• Assists with hiring decisions
• Oversees new hire orientation to maximize the orientee’s learning experience. Assist the preceptor to find optimal learning situations. Facilitates developmental plans, as needed, to address opportunities to improve
• Daily clinical observation of clinical staff’s performance during and after orientation is finished, including review of documentation to ensure regulatory and quality standards are met.
• Continuous review of clinical competencies for key diagnostic categories, including, but not limited to:
• Core Measures
• Harm indicators
• Performance Improvement Initiatives
• Data collection and report generation of the above when required by Department Director
4. Ensures floats, travelers, and registry personnel are oriented to unit routine. Serves as a resource and monitors their compliance with PVHMC patient care standards.
5. Responsible, with Clinical Director, to assure optimal quality of care and patient satisfaction by:
• Making rounds on each patient every shift.
• Discussing patient satisfaction with patients and/or family members.
• Ensuring resolution of issues and communicating necessary information between shifts, staff, and units/floors.
• Coaching nursing staff to anticipate patient’s needs by listening to patient/family concerns and providing explanations regarding care and treatment
6. Assists the Clinical Director to manage the unit communication process by:
• Identifying unit operation topics for staff meetings
• Utilizing LMS board to ensure staff ownership of organizational goals
7. Manages appropriate patient care assignment based on the competency of staff, acuity of patient and continuity of care.
• Reviews shift assignment and may change assignments as necessary to meet patient/unit needs.
• Maintains working knowledge of daily patient care needs by listening to report and rounding of all patients on unit. Focuses on desired outcomes and critical data/events to facilitate unit operations.
• Facilitates unlicensed assistive personnel to support patient care delivery for the assigned team.
8. Serves as a primary communication resource for physician interaction for the unit. Facilitates the RN implementation of the plan of care for patients through effective communication with the health care team.
9. Manages shift productivity every 4 hours
10. Identifies individual and system problems for progressive follow through:
• Coaching for success
• Progressive counseling for sub-standard performance
11. Provides timely resolution to unit based events involving physician and patient/family complaints.
12. Meets the duties, responsibilities, and competencies of the job description for PVHMC RN on assigned nursing unit to be able to perform as a resource for clinical issues and patient care activities as needed.
13. Demonstrates understanding of the unit patient population including, illness, disabilities, disease, nutrition, treatment and interventions, and continuum of care needs.
14. Demonstrates understanding of organizational structure and utilizes appropriate channels of communication.
The above statements reflect the major functions considered necessary to describe the principle content of the job. They are not intended to be a complete statement of all work requirements or duties that may be inherent in the job.
Bachelors degree in Nursing on hire preferred (or enrollment and completion within 2 years of hire) Previous supervisor or charge experience on an acute care unit preferred
Strong leadership and verbal/written communication skills Excellent organizational skills
Clinical training/competency relevant to unit population.
Current unrestricted California RN license. Life Support (AHA) BLS-C, ACLS, NRP
AWHONN Advanced Fetal Monitoring within 2 years
Certification in area of specialty desirable.