Laboratory technicians are non-professional personnel with training in areas of the clinical laboratory useful to the overall efficiency and smooth operation of the laboratory. These areas include: phlebotomy, preparation of send out tests, answering the telephone, and assisting in the chemistry, hematology, and microbiology areas of the laboratory. The purpose of the job description is to provide information on how this useful assistance can be given. In order to qualify for this position, one must be able to work independently all the requirements as described for a Laboratory Assistant. This person should be versatile in all aspect of the laboratory as well as a team player to assist in not only performing, but coordinating the duties and responsibilities of the Laboratory Assistant in order to relieve the Clinical Laboratory Scientist the responsibilities of the phlebotomy and processing area, which includes the send out and microbiology set-ups. This person must have an extensive computer and LIS capability to manage and troubleshoot any problems in the processing area as well as the billing aspect. This person needs to be able to demonstrate proficiency in assisting and gaining the confidence of the Clinical Laboratory Scientist to perform the designated automated instruments.
- High school education or its equivalent experience (An AA or Bachelor's degree is preferred.)
- Two years of experience as a phlebotomist.
- Certified for venipuncture and skin puncture. CPT I or CPT II
- Current BCLS (AHA)
- Be able to communicate well in English both in writing and verbally.
- Minimum of four years of experience in a clinical laboratory with at least two years of experience as a Laboratory Technician a lead laboratory assistant, and or a Lab Assistant Supervisor, or show equivalent experience.
- Have at least two years of LIS experience and computer knowledge, or show proficiency.
- Have good organizational skills.
- Have some experience with the operation of any automated chemistry, hematology, or microbiology experience.