This position is responsible for the decontamination preparation and sterilization of instruments for all areas of the hospital.
· Decontaminates, cleans assembles and sterilizes simple to moderately complex instrument trays.
· Operates all equipment in the processing area, including steam sterilizer, tunnel washer and heat sealer in a
· Prepares trays, packs, linen, instruments and other special items for steam sterilization.
· Assists in the maintenance of departmental records.
· Maintains accurate sterilization and biological indicator records.
· Keeps accurate control records of equipment and instruments issued to all patient care areas and of their
· Demonstrates skill in inspecting, assembling and wrapping instrument trays. Checks for contamination, tears,
holes and moisture in wrapped trays.
· After each load, checks the sterilizer recording charts for proper function of sterilizer temperatures, pressure
and time cycles. Initials each load run. Reports any malfunction to the coordinator.
· Receives shift report daily.
· Attends meetings as required and actively participates in assignments in an effective manner.
· Demonstrates ability to organize time, prioritize activities and solve problems.
· Maintains cart and stock areas in a clean and orderly fashion.
· Maintains security of supplies by ensuring doors are locked and closed at all times and reporting
any unauthorized personnel to security.