The Speech Pathologist will be directly involved in patient evaluation and treatment acting as an integral member of the rehabilitation team. Provides assessment, treatment, care, and evaluation for patients with cognitive, speech, language, voice, and fluency disorders.
He/she will also be involved in preceptorship for the student intern program and program development for speech pathology services throughout the hospital. Provide effective, efficient, and quality care for a geriatric and adult population. Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of AHMC- Seton Medical Center. It is expected that the employee demonstrate behavior consistent with the core values of AHMC- Seton Medical Center and AHMC Healthcare Inc. The employee shall support AHMC-Seton Medical Center’s strategic plan and goals and direction of the performance improvement plan. The employee will also be expected to support all organizational expectations including, but not limited to; Customer Service, Patient’s Rights, Confidentiality of Information, Environment of Care and other initiatives.
A. Meets customer service expectations and AHMC Activities.
1. Promotes a service culture – AHMC Customer Service Standards.
2. Demonstrates the customer satisfaction standards set for the institution.
3. Actively participates in ways to prevent customer complaints and dissatisfaction with services.
4. Focuses attention and actions on what is best for the patient or customer.
5. Attempts to identify all customer needs and tries to meet and/or exceed expectations.
6. Interacts with all customers in a caring manner.
7. Contact with others is polite and proactive.
8. Promotes a positive teamwork environment.
9. Creates closure after interactions.
10. Communicates effectively in a positive, respectful and concise manner.
B. Demonstrates Core Values and supports Mission, Vision and Values and Code of Conduct.
1. Can articulate and demonstrates support for organizational goals, the Mission and Vision of the Institution and the core values.
2. Assures patient/family rights are respected and fulfills the Medical Center’s Patient Safety Philosophy.
3. Maintains confidentiality of patient information and Medical Center business matters.
4. Complies with all established policies and procedures.
JOB DESCRIPTION & COMPETENCY ASSESSMENT TOOL
C. Safeguards self/others and physical plant and equipment.
1. Demonstrates and understands personal and department role in the security, health, life and safety plans.
2. Demonstrates and understands role in the hazardous materials plan and can access information on MSDSs.
3. Demonstrates and understands the role in the hospital emergency and disaster plan.
4. Follows procedures for reporting faulty equipment or service problems.
D. Performance Improvement
1. Participates in performance improvement activities.
2. Understands and advocates AHMC initiatives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. Consistently applies infection control policies/practices.
1. Understands and practices standard precautions for self and others in patient care activities.
2. Understands and practices appropriate disease-specific isolation.
3. Ensures sterility of supplies and equipment.
B. Meets population/age specific competencies per unit specific addendum.
C. Attends department specific education/training, inservices, and staff meetings.
1. Attends mandatory inservices/educational/training activities.
2. Submits all required paperwork on time.
D. Ability to perform patient care within the designated time frame and follows recommendations in accordance with AHMC policies and procedures.
1. Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
2. Knows all speech therapy standards and protocols for adult and geriatric patients.
3. Maintain completed documentation in the medial record within the prescribed time frames, accurately and clearly.
4. Demonstrates knowledge of the theory, techniques, and practices of professional speech therapy.
5. Demonstrates knowledge of the use, care and maintenance of therapy services equipment.
E. Maintains open and collaborative working relationships with staff and physicians in order to maintain a pleasant work environment and a professional image of the Speech Therapy Department.
1. Possesses excellent customer service skills.
2. Protects patient privacy and confidentiality.
3. Ability to work effectively with Physical Therapy Staff.
4. Offers assistance and promptly responds to requests.
F. Ability to properly and efficiently manage patient flow and exams independently.
1. Appropriately prioritizes work activities.
2. Maintains high productivity and performs efficiently regardless of whether the work volume is high or low.
3. Knowledge of diagnostic patient schedule and how to add on a patient to the schedule.
4. Responds to difficult situations in a professional manner and a positive attitude.
5. Upon referral, evaluate patients by administering various functional assessment tools.
6. Identifies appropriate treatment goals, and designs effective treatment plan.
7. Efficiently implements and modifies treatment plans.
8. Complete all documentation required by either policy, procedure or regulation.
9. Confidentially confers with supervisor, therapists, physicians, case managers and other patient care team members regarding patients’ plan of care.
10. Completes billing sheet accurately by end of day.
11. Instruct/Train patient’s family in home program as indicated.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduate of an accredited speech pathology program or equivalent education/experience
SP-Licensed Speech Pathologist
BLS-Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider
Possess and maintains a current BLS certification.